Who am I?

I guess this is something I've been struggling with my entire life. I don't know who I am.

I can be 'labeled' as a mother, a girlfriend, a daughter, a sister, an aunt, a friend, a co-worker, a dispatcher and a cousin. But is that who I really am? All of these things only take up a very small part of me.

I can be called talkative, lazy, liar, smart, funny, confident, neurotic, forgetful, sexy, thoughtful and creative. However, these are things others see in me!

Who am I? Who do I believe I am? If I dig down far enough and really be truly honest with myself...

I am a woman who cherishes her family. I am someone who constantly misses my friends--even when they're only upstairs. I am deeply flawed and extremely emotional. I am deeply scarred but hardly wounded. I love poetry and the smell of brand new books. I love the sounds of words when read aloud. Each syllable, each word, each sentence and each paragraph.

I love to hear myself laugh--I don't do it near enough anymore.

I'm someone who talks more talk than she'll ever allow herself to walk. I constantly fight my inner demons and 90% of the time, they win. I'm impatient and ridiculous, but I expect you to wait for me when I'm running late. I'm always running late.

I'm half-way between irresponsible and completely independent. I get things done on my own damn time and I forget the world doesn't work that way. I'm passionate about the little things. The little people.

I don't cry when I'm sad. I have an irrational fear of crying when I'm sad. I cry when I'm angry because I don't know what else to do. I talk fast and loud when I'm excited. I have a lisp when I'm tired or drunk.

I'm the one who fills the void of silence. I can't stand silence. I sleep with the TV on, I clean with the music blaring. The only time I require silence is when I'm reading. When I'm reading I hear the sounds of the voices I've created for my characters. I hear the sounds of the bustling in the book. I let myself get completely enveloped by books, it's my escape.

I'm plain and simple--straight to the point. I've been referred to as glamorous and I've never quite understood that. I find the beauty in everyone and typically I'm jealous of it but only at first, because I tend to dwell on the negatives of everyone.

I'm happy nearly 100% of the time it's just hard to tell by the way I talk.

I cuss like a sailor and I am ashamed of it. I've been raised to believe it's not lady-like yet I refuse to quit.

I have to constantly remind myself to put forth an effort to learn about other people. It's not as though I'm not interested in what they have to say, I just get lost in my own conversation that I forget to ask people how they are and how they're doing.

I'm open-minded and sometimes judemental. I have a hard time walking in someone else's shoes without first being reminded. Empathy is certinaly not inherent in me.

My heart aches when I see an elderly man eating alone. I have felt a strange type of remorse for people on death row.

I constantly believe I'm not good enough. In anything I try to do, I first question myself. Am I good enough? Will I succeed? Will I fail? What will others think? How will I feel if I fail? But you'll never know it because I'm the master of putting on a brave face. I rarely try new things.

I pretend to know more about things than I actually do. When I can hardly tell you about myself!

I am Kassandra.

10 comments:

Mrs. Jelly Belly said...

Wow, very nice introspection. I would be too afraid to take that deep of a look at myself. But perhaps I should. :)

Thank you so much for visiting my blog!

@TiffanyRom said...

Beautifully written post!

Welcome to SITS, we are so glad to have you join us!

Sandy said...

I came by to Welcome you to SITS! It's nice to have you as part of the group:0)

Anonymous said...

I like it. It's hard to be so honest.

I also cry when I'm pissed, but not usually when I'm sad.

Welcome to SITS!

Just Lisa said...

What a great post! Very honest and heartfelt!

Welcome to SITS! Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Rachael Schirano \\ Rachael Schirano Photography said...

wow, this post is beautiful, a wonderful way to share with us just who you are. i can't wait to get to know you!

welcome to SITS, we are so happy you joined!

DiPaola Momma said...

I know who you are.. I think you're my long lost sister. So much of your opening up here I can say about myself. To have you say it though was like sort of cathartic, I'm not alone in some of the things that make me, me and that is comforting.

WELCOME to SITS I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

said...

It's a pretty cool thing to really know yourself.

Just wanted to say welcome to the SITS community, we're so glad to have you. :O)

The Rambler said...

Wow. I felt like I was reading my own words. Wow-written post.

From SITS and part of the welcomista crew.

Judah said...

wow, that was a wonderful post.
welcome to SITS!!

Copyright @ Chic Cherub | Floral Day theme designed by SimplyWP | Bloggerized by GirlyBlogger